Mike Richter To Retire...

HellOnICE

I'll always remember Mike Richter. He was the #1 goalie that got it done here. He was the backbone of the team and held them together during the difficult tests from the Devils and Canucks. He is one of my favorite Rangers. I will miss him.

Thank you #35 :) . You were a class act on and off the ice.

Welp! There goes a personal all-time favorite even if he was a rival and frustrated me deeply in the past. You have to respect how Richter was a true hardworking competitor. I am sure his will to continue playing is there. However, I don't think I can remember him really healthy and playing well since he played in the last Olympics. His time is done and he has made the right decision.

Richter will be remembered as one of the most spectacular goalies in NHL history, some of the saves he made over the years were incredible. He stopped our runs in 94 and 97, and was magnificent under pressure against the Canucks. The guy was impossible to beat on penalty shots and in overtime.

Those five saves in what seemed like five seconds against the Canucks were something special. That entire playoff run was something special, by far and away the best time for hockey in our area. I was in High School at the time and I just remember the buzz around school that existed at the times. You had the Devil fans wearing their Stevens, Richter, Brodeur jersey's, and us with Graves, Messier, and Leetch on our backs. Just an amazing time. In the ECF we got to see the two best teams in the league, countless stars/superstars in their primes lock up for 7 amazing games. After the first period in Game 6 the Devils were going to the Stanley Cup, after the second you had no idea, after the third you couldn't wait for Game 7. After about 59:50 seconds of Game 7 the Rangers were going to the Stanley Cup...however more - much more drama lay ahead.

The last few years have really been difficult for Mike. Its one thing to come back from a broken bone, or pulled muscle that puts you out for a few weeks, but ACL tears in both knees, and two season-ending concussions. Four season ending injuries in four years (not to mention after youv've been a NHL goalie for 10+ years so your body is beat up as it is) is a tall order.

Mike is 37, has a Stanley Cup, World Cup of hockey, All-Star MVP, 3 times representing Team USA in the Olympics, he had one heck of a run, howver still a young man, has a lot ahead of him.

All depends on your criteria.

Barasso has two cups, Mike has one. If you add in everything else (Team USA) it becomes a pretty good arguement.

Barasso played with an absolute machine in Pittsburgh. Mario, Jagr, Stevens, Tochett, Samulesson, Francis all in their primes. On the other hand Mike played with some brand name players as well.

it's tough saying it for a lifetime Ranger who was born near Phily, but

yeah I'd have to give Richter as the best American born goalie to date

... it's just a damn shame he couldn't have played for a different team

where I could honestly have appreciated it more....

I think Ricky gets the title, for now.

Beezer & Barasso probably have more career wins, but I guess I give it to Richter based on US team play as the deciding factor.

VBK was always kinda streaky, and I don't recall (over my 15+ years) of being a Devils fan of ever saying "Man we can't beat Barasso".

Just my 2 cents.

I am always sorry to see a professional athlete have to retire due to injury. Richter was one of the best goalies in the business. He conducted himself well on and off the ice and that is refreshing.

While it was to his credit that he didn't try and jump ship to another club by asking for a trade given the last 6 years (YOU HEAR THAT RAYMOND!!), you have to wonder what might have happened had he played for a contending team.

Be well Mike.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Legend...ition.jsp?pos=G

Clinton S. Benedict

John William (Johnny) Bower

Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek

Walter Edward (Turk) Broda

Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers

Alex Connell

Kenneth Wayne Dryden

William Ronald (Bill) Durnan

Anthony James (Tony) Esposito

Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner

Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin

George Hainsworth

Glenn Henry Hall

William Milton (Riley) Hern

Harry (Hap) Holmes

John Bower (Bouse) Hutton

Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman

Percy LeSueur

Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley

Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran

Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent

Lester Patrick

Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante

Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner

Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk

Oliver Levi Seibert

William (Bill) John Smith

Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson

Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak

Georges Vezina

Harry (Rat) Westwick

Lorne John (Gump) Worsley

Roy (Shrimp) Worters

Is Mike Richter a Hall of Fame Goalie? I think an arguement can be made either way. WHile I tend to put him in, I think that the Rangers misfortune over the past 6 years could end up keeping him out.

Comments?

Wow, what a tough way for the guy to end his career. Ranger or not, Richter was a great player and did so many great things for the Rangers' franchise. It'll be tough to see him hang it up for good, but he's had an amazing career that should never be forgotten.

The picture of Richter on the front page of the Newark Star Ledger gave me the chills this morning when I saw it - it's just such a sad way for him to go out :(

Too bad for Richter. I never hated the guy, although I hated the Rangers.

One afternoon, (maybe 4 yrs.ago) he was on 'FAN for about 20 minutes. It wasn't a Q&A type interview, more of whoever treating him like a co-host.

What a great guy. I've liked him since.

Shame he has to go so soon.. he was one of the best.  The Rangers-Devils rivalry won't be the same without Mike Richter.

Brodeur basically said the same thing last year, however he also left the door open for a new one to open between himself and Dunham.

For Devils / Rangers to make a return the Rangers have to play better, and its a must they beat the Devils a few times. Ties are not good enough, playing well and losing isn't good enough, they need a few W's, including a nice domination where for one night everything just clicks. Those things, along with Holik in the lineup should make things more exciting. Also there is really no bad blood between the two teams. Lets see Stevens or Kasparatis really run someone to get things going. Its pretty sad that even after all that has happened over the last 6 years, its seems that Stevens and Brodeur get up for the Ranger games than some of the Rangers.

When you have a first and tenth place team playing the juice just isn't the same as when both teams are good.

Hockey aside, I do have sympathy for what happened to him. I hope he's ok in the future....for him and his family.

But this is a Devil's Hockey Forum, so sorry in advance for what seems to be my lack of sensativity:

He is and was a Ranger...and a good player......F-k him, and good-bye.