Devils Ring of Honor

MadDog2020

Anyone going to the meet and greet with the alumni before the game? I have a retro jersey I'd love to dig out and get signed by the boys if possible. Heck,  just getting to shake hands with Claude Lemieux is reason enough to go. I attempted a meet and greet with him after fhe 95 Cup at the Menlo Park mall but the line cut off right before I got my chance. 10-year-old me still hasn't let that one go. 

Alas, I'm actually excited for this event. I hope the Devils really do it up. Sounds like they're trying.

Edited by Weekes Head

40 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

I attempted a meet and greet with him after fhe 95 Cup at the Menlo Park mall but the line cut off right before I got my chance. 10-year-old me still hasn't let that one go. 

I was there too! Stayed in line 2 hours before a guy came out and told us there was no possibility we would make it before the cut-off. Before that moment I often felt like the only Devils fan on earth!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was there too! Stayed in line 2 hours before a guy came out and told us there was no possibility we would make it before the cut-off. Before that moment I often felt like the only Devils fan on earth!!

Same thing happened to me! I was so upset when they announced the cut off. A bunch of people behind us attempted to stay in hopes that they'd magically be let in...I have a feeling they just wasted their time. We ended up sneaking a few photos as we "shopped" in the store he was signing at. Gosh, I wanna say it was a Sears or something. Oh, memories! 

3 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

Same thing happened to me! I was so upset when they announced the cut off. A bunch of people behind us attempted to stay in hopes that they'd magically be let in...I have a feeling they just wasted their time. We ended up sneaking a few photos as we "shopped" in the store he was signing at. Gosh, I wanna say it was a Sears or something. Oh, memories! 

Yup it was Sears. And we did the same thing you did!

Those patches seem a little fvcked up to me. Why would we use the Rockies logo like that? I feel like the logo has always been overly used around the Devils; it's a part of Denver's hockey tradition and should be celebrated by fans in Colorado, not us. We destroyed the Rockies by bringing them here, it doesn't really make much sense to me. Imagine if Carolina did a similar thing with the Whalers logo (maybe they have, I don't know), wouldn't it seem off putting?

They do look nice, though.

Those patches seem a little fvcked up to me. Why would we use the Rockies logo like that? I feel like the logo has always been overly used around the Devils; it's a part of Denver's hockey tradition and should be celebrated by fans in Colorado, not us. We destroyed the Rockies by bringing them here, it doesn't really make much sense to me. Imagine if Carolina did a similar thing with the Whalers logo (maybe they have, I don't know), wouldn't it seem off putting?

Here we go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it's good to celebrate the whole history. No Rockies, no Devils. And it ties in with McMullen making the risk of purchasing a troubled franchise and moving them into a crowded location. 

Eh.  I always saw that statement as a little bit of an exaggeration.  Imperatore tried to purchase the Rockies and move them to BBA back in 78 but was blocked by the NHL because the arena was still being built.

Yeah McMullen moved them in, but he was also this close to moving them out.

• Like 1

Home whites and that patch? God I wish I could go.

i remember that signing at Menlo Mall. I too never got in. If I recall correctly, the Cup was also at the Sears in Woodbridge Mall that summer at some point as well. I think we got in to that and got a picture of (not with) the Cup. Can't remember what the deal was, I assume my mom didn't want to wait in line or something.

Edit: And by "I wish I could go" I have decided that fvck it, I am going. See some of ya there.

Edited by thelastonealive

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

The bolded:  WHAT?!  The Devils didn't really do much of anything to acknowledge the franchise's previous stops until they moved to the Rock...and even then, it's not like they've shoved the Scouts' or Rockies' logos or history down our throats.  If you're talking about fans wearing Rockies' apparel...yeah, some fans do (I'm one of them, though I also wear Scouts and (obviously) Devils jerseys as well).  It's still not THAT many fans wearing them though (and even now a fair number of Devils fans don't recognize those jerseys), and retro has become a bit of a thing through the years anyway.  You'll find some Carolina fans wearing Whalers stuff at any given Carolina home game.  This seems like complaining for complaining's sake. 

I like the patch in that it shows who was primarily responsible for the transition, and the locations involved, in a very cool, artistic, and creative way.  I want one of those patches too. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Eh.  I always saw that statement as a little bit of an exaggeration.  Imperatore tried to purchase the Rockies and move them to BBA back in 78 but was blocked by the NHL because the arena was still being built.

Yeah McMullen moved them in, but he was also this close to moving them out.

We've discussed this before...yeah, in some ways McMullen gets remembered a little more fondly that he probably should.  The Nashville crap that took a little something away from the Cup run was really hard to take at the time.  Time has sanded down some of McMullen's rough edges to the point where he's almost revered as this benevolent grandfather-type figure who was all about New Jersey and bringing a hockey team here out of the goodness of his heart, which is a myth.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really have against McMullen or anything...more that, just like almost everyone else, there was good and bad with him...but this event will be about focusing on the good, which I get. 

It will always be odd to me that the NHL allowed the Rockies to move here...I'm obviously glad they did, but talk about a market that didn't really need another hockey team.  Especially with one of the locals in the midst of a multi-Cup run (and another having won two Cups fairly recently and still having success in the Flyers at the time). 

If you look up some articles in the days and weeks leading up the eventual sale of the Rockies, a lot of non-NJ scenarios were being floated around...one even had the Devils merging with their expansion brethren Capitals (with the team keeping the Capital name and remaining in Washington).  There were others too (including Canadian locations)...it's funny, because many (not saying you specifically) assume that because Arthur Imperatore tried to buy the Devils to move them to NJ previously, that the Rockies were a lock to move there, that it was only a matter of time. 

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like the patch in that it shows who was primarily responsible for the transition, and the locations involved, in a very cool, artistic, and creative way.  I want one of those patches too. 

We've discussed this before...yeah, in some ways McMullen gets remembered a little more fondly that he probably should.  The Nashville crap that took a little something away from the Cup run was really hard to take at the time.  Time has sanded down some of McMullen's rough edges to the point where he's almost revered as this benevolent grandfather-type figure who was all about New Jersey and bringing a hockey team here out of the goodness of his heart, which is a myth.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really have against McMullen or anything...more that, just like almost everyone else, there was good and bad with him...but this event will be about focusing on the good, which I get. 

It will always be odd to me that the NHL allowed the Rockies to move here...I'm obviously glad they did, but talk about a market that didn't really need another hockey team.  Especially with one of the locals in the midst of a multi-Cup run (and another having won two Cups fairly recently and still having success in the Flyers at the time). 

If you look up some articles in the days and weeks leading up the eventual sale of the Rockies, a lot of non-NJ scenarios were being floated around...one even had the Devils merging with their expansion brethren Capitals (with the team keeping the Capital name and remaining in Washington).  There were others too (including Canadian locations)...it's funny, because many (not saying you specifically) assume that because Arthur Imperatore tried to buy the Devils to move them to NJ previously, that the Rockies were a lock to move there, that it was only a matter of time. 

Yeah there were rumors and ideas floated, but how many were realistic?  How many had a 19,000 seat arena well under construction and a state begging to take them in?  It basically was inevitable.

Yeah I do still have a bit of a beef with McMullen.  I see him as a miser Scrooge-like person who found a perfect match in Lou when he hired him in 87.  I find this Ring of Honor for him funny and ironic as he would have never allowed this type of thing to happen under his watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Here we go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you not get the point of forums like this?

@CR,  Yea I was mostly referring to fans. I think it's pretty dumb for Devils fans to wear Rockies and Scouts stuff. Those teams are a part of the sports traditions of their respective cities, not ours. I understand fans in Carolina and Colorado and Dallas and everywhere else do it, but I don't get what that has to do with it being silly.

Imagine the Devils did go to Nashville, and the predators created a similar graphic with our logo. I'd guess more people would think it was in poor taste. I imagine more people would have a problem if the Hurricanes did this, too.

I just think it's unnecessary to use a piece of a different city's sports history to honor our team in Jersey.