Full Jersey redesign next year?

Jerzey

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm starting to wonder what was really going on behind the scenes. I wonder if Blitzer/Harris offered us up initially as a guinea pig for a Seahawks/Bucs type butcher job to Adidas but backtracked to "no significant changes"  once the fan outrage hit hard on social media.

Something is very fishy here. I have no idea what a modernization of such a perfect look would be? How exactly do you make this better? 

I saw Hugh Weber at the arena last night.  I was going to talk to him about these rumors, but decided against it because we don't have any real information yet and I don't want to say something I regret later because this issue has me so heated.  I am definitely going to email him and the owners and express my opinion on it this week though.  I think we all need to weigh in on it.  They are caretakers of this franchise, and have generally done a good job thus far.  However, this decision is something that can turn this fanbase on them really quickly.   

The more I think about it, the more I am open to maybe some sort update.  I definitely do not want a black jersey as that is just cliche and would make us look like the 90's senators.

Given what little information that has come out, this is what I am assuming so far:

1) Logo will be largely untouched if not completely unchanged.  Minor things might be done to it like different shades or the removal of the ring, but I think that is the most extreme.

2) The actual body of the jersey will be updated, but only slightly and be more "modernized."  Chrome doesn't seem like the way they are going, but I could see different things happening.  There is a movement in the NHL where teams are moving away from stacked and kiss cut lettering and instead going towards sublaminated graphics and details.  This mean more options for striping and even fonts for the numbers and letters.  I believe that we will most likely have the black shoulder yoke removed or altered, patches added to the shoulders, and a change to the bottom striping.

Just now, Nicomo said:

^You just want an excuse to buy another jersey. :P

Eh there will always be excuses lol.  If the design turns out to be another Turd Burger then I won't be focusing on the new stuff really.

I am already concentrating more on the 2003-04 and earlier years with gamers (with the exception of a few new specialty stuff like McMullen night).  The current crop of players are a bunch of losers and I would rather collect gamers of winners.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, '7' said:

I still don't believe they'd do something as stupid as a total overhaul. Our fan base is no nonsense. This team has great uniforms and a great established identity. I don't want to become one of those joke uniform teams. In all sports, look at the recent idiocy of the Browns, the D-Backs. Why go in that direction?

Most teams wise up and go back to what the fans love anyway. 

Our fan base is "no nonsense"? The type of no nonsense that tunes into watching this garbage team every single night without calling for the head coach's head? Then yes, if that's your definition, this fan base is "no nonsense"...what a bunch of BS. You wanna see no nonsense? Look at Jets fans or Mets fans...now THAT's no nonsense.  Devils fans are amongst the softest fan bases in the Tri-State area...trust me, I've been a die-hard fan since 1993 AND I root for other area teams that haven't won a championship in 20-30-40-50 years.  Devils fans are hardly "no nonsense"...sorry.

Re: logo without the circle...

That was a concept I came up with at the time of the color change. Black jersey, red and white stripes, that logo on the chest. I was 15 at the time, don't kill me. 

I still don't mind it without the circle. But only as an alternate/3rd. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, dmann422 said:

It's hard enough watching the team as it is, if they ditch the jersey that my memories are based on I'd be really dissapointed... I'm fine with a 3rd but any major change to the primaries reeks of money grab, the jersey is great as it is please don't change it.

I don't get a "money grab" vibe when the jersey is changed for the first time in 25 years. When its every couple of years, different story...

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't get a "money grab" vibe when the jersey is changed for the first time in 25 years. When its every couple of years, different story.

Bingo.

A money grab from an organization that's gone through 1 change (colors) in 35 years? I guess the same can be said for the New York Giants, who've gone through 4 different jersey colors, 8 different uniform designs, 3 different logo's, and 4 different helmets in 92 years.

Edited by Beezer34

As long as the main logo stays the same, I'm going to be relatively open but I'd still rather keep the current uniform. I plan on writing an email to the owner to express my opinion on it, so much history is wrapped up in these uniforms and I think it would be a travesty to scrap a uniform that's mentioned in the same breath with Chicago, Montreal, and Philadelphia as the best in the league. The main thing to me though is keeping the logo, so rarely you see a team absolutely nail it on their first try and our logo is perfect, it better not be going anywhere or else I'll be livid.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just curious, but where are these jerseys mentioned as being the best or among the best in the league?  When I have seen polls in the past we are usually about the middle of the pack.

I think they are great looking as-is, but I don't think we are as iconic as some of the others.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/01/09/new-uniforms-on-the-way-for-the-new-jersey-devils/

Creamer mentions us in the same class with Detroit and Montreal in terms of longevity of a great design. As a designer myself, I personally think we have a Top 5 uniform and logo set in the league. It may be a bit biased, but it's a classic and timeless design that looks as sharp now as it did back in 1992, some uniforms over time start to look dated but not our unis.

While my preference is that we just stick with the existing uniform, I think it is the logo that is classic, not necessarily the jersey.  As long as they keep the logo the same, you could pretty much drop it on any past red, white and black Team Canada jersey template and you would still have a sharp looking jersey.

For example, use this as an extreme example. Most people seem to think vertical piping is the worst (I personally like it).  Put the Devils logo on it and it's still a sweet jersey.    

Team-Canada-2006-Olympic-Swift-Big-And-Tall-Replica-Red-Hockey-Jersey-N3657_XL.jpg

Now if they start f'ing with the logo, all bets are off.     

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just curious, but where are these jerseys mentioned as being the best or among the best in the league?  When I have seen polls in the past we are usually about the middle of the pack.

I think they are great looking as-is, but I don't think we are as iconic as some of the others.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/01/09/new-uniforms-on-the-way-for-the-new-jersey-devils/

Creamer mentions us in the same class with Detroit and Montreal in terms of longevity of a great design. As a designer myself, I personally think we have a Top 5 uniform and logo set in the league. It may be a bit biased, but it's a classic and timeless design that looks as sharp now as it did back in 1992, some uniforms over time start to look dated but not our unis.

Our jerseys are not as iconic as the Hawks, Habs, Rangers, etc...we just haven't been around long enough to be on that level. 

The iconic status of the Devils jersey basically exists amongst Devils fans. 

Some quick thoughts:

1. When they changed from green to black I remember fans being excited. (Hell I was excited for the red to black helmets.)

2. As others have mentioned I don't want change if it includes Buffaslug, Fishsticks etc type logo changes.

3, I usually buy replica CCM jerseys i like the way they feel.  When the league switched from CCM I got a pretty cheap authentic.  I expect the same to happen to the  Reebok jerseys style the players wear on the ice.

4. Like others have said if it is just changes to the striping, shoulder area etc. I'll probably come around eventually. Anything more than that, I got my CCMs.B)

I think a lil change is due. I remember so many fans pissing /moaning about "everyone" else has a 3rd jersey, & we were one of then only teams that never did. "We all said, Lou will never go for that!" (Lou thought the Christmas tree uni's on St. Patty's day was bs)  For me,  as long as they leave the logo alone, they can modernize.  

other teams have tinkered with uniforms a lot (especially "Isles")

I hate the idea of changing the jersey. When they say modernisation the image that comes into my head is the current team Canada Jerseys. Anyone with photoshop skills want to chuck some devils logo's on them?

Screenshot_20170110-235724.png

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

On 1/9/2017 at 3:51 PM, '7' said:

I still don't believe they'd do something as stupid as a total overhaul. Our fan base is no nonsense. This team has great uniforms and a great established identity. I don't want to become one of those joke uniform teams. In all sports, look at the recent idiocy of the Browns, the D-Backs. Why go in that direction?

Most teams wise up and go back to what the fans love anyway. 

Just another corporate money grab. Goes along with the paperless Season tickets, giveaways for only the first 9,000, game day posters for sale etc. they should overhaul the product on the ice first and then watch the merchandise fly off the shelves when the winning ways happen. 

I am seriously not going to renew my season tix. 

2 hours ago, mackchi said:

Just another corporate money grab. Goes along with the paperless Season tickets, giveaways for only the first 9,000, game day posters for sale etc. they should overhaul the product on the ice first and then watch the merchandise fly off the shelves when the winning ways happen. 

I am seriously not going to renew my season tix. 

The giveaways have always been for the first x amount of people. I don't like the paperless tickets either so I won't defend that but it seems like everyone else in sports is headed that direction as well. They use to sell 5 bucks programs that basically only had a different cover and a different roster and only switched the articles 2 to 3 times a year. Just like these you don't have to buy the posters either. 

I fully understand not renewing cause of the play on the ice stinks but these other things have basically been done by the team by multiple previous owners. 

18 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The giveaways have always been for the first x amount of people. I don't like the paperless tickets either so I won't defend that but it seems like everyone else in sports is headed that direction as well. They use to sell 5 bucks programs that basically only had a different cover and a different roster and only switched the articles 2 to 3 times a year. Just like these you don't have to buy the posters either. 

I fully understand not renewing cause of the play on the ice stinks but these other things have basically been done by the team by multiple previous owners. 

No they haven't the giveaways for x amount of people is a really recent thing

On 1/10/2017 at 8:02 AM, Beezer34 said:

I think you might see three things:

1) They may remove the circle around the logo.

2) The shoulder pads probably are gone.

3) I could see them offsetting the logo's color, based on the jersey. Other teams do this. When Toronto wears their white jersey, their logo's blue. When they wear the blue jersey, the logo's white. Same with Calgary. White logo, yellow logo, black logo, red logo, etc. based on what color jersey they're wearing. In the end the Devils could be left with something like this..

NJD.png

Like I said, if we end up having jerseys similiar to the maroon/white of the yotes change before the black elbow pads, or the hurricanes two color, or hell even the bolts two color stuff [although that one makes sense], i'll puke.

Us having 3 colors on the jersey completes the Devil look in my opinion. Some teams can get away with two colors [I.e. Detroit], and we are not one of those teams

EDIT: didn't realize how far back this post was, guess the cold knocked me out longer than I had thought.

Edited by jagknife

On 1/10/2017 at 10:02 AM, Beezer34 said:

I think you might see three things:

1) They may remove the circle around the logo.

2) The shoulder pads probably are gone.

3) I could see them offsetting the logo's color, based on the jersey. Other teams do this. When Toronto wears their white jersey, their logo's blue. When they wear the blue jersey, the logo's white. Same with Calgary. White logo, yellow logo, black logo, red logo, etc. based on what color jersey they're wearing. In the end the Devils could be left with something like this..

NJD.png

i gotta say. that doesnt look too shabby. id be ok with that