2018 JETS

Beezer34

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course he gets hurt before the Buffalo game which could have been a confidence booster.  Then again the Bills do have a decent defense, it's their offense that's beyond pathetic.

Yea the Bills actually played very tough and well and kept NE out of the endzone pretty much all game. They would be no picnic for Darnold.

He needs to play in the New England game and take his lumps though. Need to get that trial by fire vs Belichick

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

24-0 lolz...this is getting Kotite/MacLean bad.

It is that bad. Why would we ever fire Rex Ryan for someone as incompetent and unintelligent as Bowles. How was someone this unbelievably incapable even considered?

It's over at least. Todd Bowles will not coach this team in 2019. It was never going to end well, the Bowles era. A mental midget like him was always going to go out in a wretched spiral of embarrassment. Bowles will never work in the NFL again

14 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Matt lefluer please.. and walk that joke of a gm out with bowles.. no fing way he spends 90 mil of jets money  this roster is garbage

I'm not sure Mac is in danger. His drafts in retrospect don't look very good. But no tears shed if he goes. Still it wasn't fair fro, the getgo saddling him with an inept loser like Bowles. Bowles has no clue how to utilize any personnel properly

9 hours ago, '7' said:

I'm not sure Mac is in danger. His drafts in retrospect don't look very good. But no tears shed if he goes. Still it wasn't fair fro, the getgo saddling him with an inept loser like Bowles. Bowles has no clue how to utilize any personnel properly

the roster is a disaster, draft rounds 2 thru 4 are historically bad for this guy, .. see ya!!

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Yeah it would be nice if he gets to pick his own coach before streeting him.  But his drafting or most of his FA signings haven't really earned him the benefit of the doubt.  I'm honestly just more ambivalent about the GM cause I doubt it's going to matter in the end.  When Woody picked Idzik it didn't work out, when he outsourced the pick to Casserly and Wolf the Macc/Bowles pairing has been a disaster.  I don't know if Chris is going to be any better at picking a GM but I suppose we might find out sooner rather than later.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah it would be nice if he gets to pick his own coach before streeting him.  But his drafting or most of his FA signings haven't really earned him the benefit of the doubt.  I'm honestly just more ambivalent about the GM cause I doubt it's going to matter in the end.  When Woody picked Idzik it didn't work out, when he outsourced the pick to Casserly and Wolf the Macc/Bowles pairing has been a disaster.  I don't know if Chris is going to be any better at picking a GM but I suppose we might find out sooner rather than later.

Devin Smith's bizarre injuries year after year. Hackenberg was a bust but nobody picked around him turned into anything special either. It was a risk we could take

Maye and Adams are good. But Stewart, Hansen, Leggett are all trash. He was really looking to hit on some cheap middle round value and totally failed. I don't really see any gems. Some decent guys (Jordan Jenkins, Elijah McGuire) and a good deal of garbage like Petty and Mauldin. I get the feeling his drafts are probably middle of the road relative to the rest of the NFL. If we can find a better guy who can build a better scouting department then by all means do it...I'm just not sure we can. But at least when the obvious guy is there he takes him. And I think the Maye pick which was totally off the radar for us when they made it was a nice snag. He also understands the importance in finding late round productive backs and getting your franchise QB a good athletic security blanket TE to build chemistry with like Herndon. But his total negligence of the OLine...that's what could be his death knell. 

I would like to see how a coach not named Bowles deploys this personnel. I have a feeling someone like Rex would've gotten a heck of a lot more out of this defense than we've seen thus far.

Edited by '7'

• 2 weeks later...

Felt like a potential upset for a while...Jets scored first, and hung around for quite a while...the early ingredients you usually see to start off such a scenario.  Pats did what they had to, but definitely not an impressive win at all.  Pats will win their division and make the playoffs, but they're firmly in the pretender category for now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol so instead of making the Pats kick a FG on fourth down or forcing them to go on 4th and 2 the GREAT Todd Bowles takes a penalty, gives Brady another shot and boom TD to Gronk.  Would any other coach decline fourth down there?

This was just an embarrassing sequence. Bowles never stops making the same sort of mistakes regarding down and distance, clock management, schematics. I mean he never truly learns or exhibits the right fell for a football game. His decision making is disastrous

Jets overall hung with NE pretty well but the results are always the same as they are in the Bowles era. A loss. Brady had all day to throw. No significant pressure at any time

Credit McCown he actually played pretty well. And I think Chris Herndon is finally becoming that top TE we've always needed. Big and athletic. Mac deserves some credit for that pick

Edited by '7'

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Comparing Rex to Bowles is like comparing Joe Walton to Kotite.  They're all below average coaches it's just one guy was less bad and had success with a better team while the other guy's historically bad.

I would say Rex is about average. He did a nice job with that 2013 Jets team which had no talent but finished 8-8. His road playoff wins were very impressive (with Sanchez no less) but the 2011-12 season crash was very painful, and his beloved defenses rarely made a big stop. And the D on those teams were made the focal point all the time, all the resources we had were pushed towards the D (and I'm sure Rex was driving that) while the offense steadily decayed to the point we were running Nelson and Salas out there as receivers

Edited by '7'

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

I would say Rex is about average. He did a nice job with that 2013 Jets team which had no talent but finished 8-8. His road playoff wins were very impressive (with Sanchez no less) but the 2011-12 season crash was very painful, and his beloved defenses rarely made a big stop. And the D on those teams were made the focal point all the time, all the resources we had were pushed towards the D (and I'm sure Rex was driving that) while the offense steadily decayed to the point we were running Nelson and Salas out there as receivers

Agree with much of the above...to this day, Rex reminds me of a guy with an 101 mph fastball, but who couldn't get it over the plate consistently and couldn't keep his emotions in check...there was something there, but he was his own worst enemy, and he never evolved, and his act became more and more clownish as his career went on.  He never grew up.  He was put in some tough situations for sure (Idzik was no help), but he's far from blameless in having fizzled out as a head coach. 

I think his most impressive achievement was that 8-8 season, for sure...maybe even more so than his upset of the Pats in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, '7' said:

I would say Rex is about average. He did a nice job with that 2013 Jets team which had no talent but finished 8-8. His road playoff wins were very impressive (with Sanchez no less)

He is unquestionably an above average coach. 6 seasons with the Jets, only 2 that were under .500 (with two dreadful rosters) I believe his teams also all finished Top 10 defensively each of the 6 seasons, but I'm too lazy to look.

Edited by Beezer34

59 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

He is unquestionably an above average coach. 6 seasons with the Jets, only 2 that were under .500 (with two dreadful rosters) I believe his teams also all finished Top 10 defensively each of the 6 seasons, but I'm too lazy to look.

Or you could look at it another way and say only two winning seasons, and none after his first two (covering his final six seasons with two teams). 

If he was unquestionably above average, teams would be going after him...for one, he's not that old for a HC (55 years old).  And there's some serious coaching dreck in the NFL here and there.  It's been discussed, but if Rex really wants to get back into the game (I don't know if he does or doesn't), he'd have to go back to being a DC again (a job he may be more suited to anyway). 

Rankings will never be as big of a deal as you make them out to be...like Has correctly pointed out, his teams had a way of not making the big stop when they really needed one.  They talked the talk more than they delivered.   

More perplexing than Rex is Mangini. First year with the Jets as a chubby kid head coach he did fantastic. Year two was an injury plagued disaster. Year three Favre was dropped in his lap at the last second but he acclimated him nicely 11 games in until he had that injury he hid and things went down the toilet. But as an all around football man and personnel evaluator he totally flamed out after the Jets. I thought he'd eventually find his way. He had a great finish to a season once in Cleveland (5 straight wins or so) and I thought that franchise was finally stabilized but it went south again, as it always seems to.