2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

11 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Michael Stone agrees to terms in CGY, three years with an AAV of $3.5M.

Interesting. Wasn't sure his time in Calgary was up.  The pool dries up fast.  Here's hoping Shero acts quickly comes with his best offer to Shattenkirk tomorrow right from the get-go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steadevils said:

Offer sheet Nino Niederreiter to continue to build Little Switzerland in Newark. Seriously though with all the space an overpay on an RFA would make sense if GM's ever decided to use offer sheets. 

Would be nice, Nino had a career past year and is due a big pay raise from his $2.7M. Carolina may be after him  with most of their roster signed already and  huge cap space like the Devs, but as usual up to the market and what the ownership wants to budget, regardless of cap space. Things will get very aggressive July 1, right now there are 3 teams in the eastern conference with offers to Shattenkirk, Tampa is rumored to have offer $7M/4yrs, Devs have tendered the longest, 7 years @ less per, so if Shero & Co. can work their magic on Shattenkirk's "contender concerns",  would be the prefect PP quarterback needed for the team.

I wonder if we're going to hear about 30 deals in the first hour tomorrow and then nothing much until Sep... 

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 

Anecdotally speaking, I don't ever recall so many "deals" being done in this so-called "talking/discussion period." There are a lot.

One thing to keep in mind with these reports of this UFA being committed to that team etc. Until 12 noon ET, no paper can be exchanged.

It may seem like formality cuz soooooo many verbal deals may have been cut, but neither player nor team fully locked in/committed til noon.

As 1 exec just noted: "Until 12 noon ET, teams can only discuss contract interest in general terms, not specifics about length or dollars."

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

According to the NY Post, we're looking at Shattenkirk, Nick Bonino, and Thomas Vanek. 

http://nypost.com/2017/06/30/devils-setting-their-sights-on-kevin-shattenkirk/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Not sure why Brooks thinks we'd be interested in outbidding other teams for Bonino? We have plenty of Centers but there are a lot of teams that need them so I can't imagine why we'd outbid them? Doesn't make sense to me - we're supposed to be leaving spots open for the kids.  Vanek would be OK if it's short term but isn't he a left wing? We need a right wing. I think someone will want/need him more and pony up.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

1 minute ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Not sure why Brooks thinks we'd be interested in outbidding other teams for Bonino? We have plenty of Centers but there are a lot of teams that need them so I can't imagine why we'd outbid them? Doesn't make sense to me - we're supposed to be leaving spots open for the kids.  Vanek would be OK if it's short term but isn't he a left wing? We need a right wing. I think we'll get outbid for him too. 

Bonino and Shattenkirk are buddies.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Vanek lol

Yeah because we just bought out Cammy to bring in another old, slow barely-qualifies-as-a-scoring-forward forward.

I half agree. The team seemed to lack this year with getting to rebounds and getting those grindy goals around the net. Vanek is good at that, if I recall correctly, but I still think I'd rather see the spot go to one of the kids.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Bonino and Shattenkirk are buddies.

If we already brought in a Swiss friend for Nico, we could do the same for Shattenkirk. Might as well. 

But yeah, I already have no idea how we're positioning all these forwards already. 

This isn't a Brooks article. 

Bonino talk is purely speculative. 

Saying he has no takers for Kovy is stupid. Nothing can be done before tomorrow anyway. It's possible it just hasn't leaked yet or Ray doesn't like what the Rangers are offering. 

Just begging for clicks. 

6 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

This isn't a Brooks article. 

Bonino talk is purely speculative. 

Saying he has no takers for Kovy is stupid. Nothing can be done before tomorrow anyway. It's possible it just hasn't leaked yet or Ray doesn't like what the Rangers are offering. 

Just begging for clicks. 

Shero is not trading Kovalchuk to the Rangers unless he robs them blind.  Something incredibly stupid for the Rangers like Sjkei and Buchnevich and maybe more.  Brooks knows this.   Kovy and Grossma  know this.  

The only thing Brooks is trying to insinuate, because he has no inside information at all, is that Kovy only wants to go to the Rangers and will go back to the KHL for a year to make that happen.  He's doing the equivalent of spitballing on a messageboard but  kinda making it sound like he knows something.  He doesn't.  

The Rangers organization hates him, and will actually leak stuff to Francesa or perhaps Kay and LeGreca when they want to leak something.  He obviously has no sources with the Devils, and there are far more effective people for Kovy's people to leak to than Brooks.

Brooks does not have the byline on this article so I do not know why this information is being credited to him.

I think if Kovalchuk were going to sign in Russia it would be done already.  He had a big meeting with SKA on Wednesday.  The offers are all on the table from NHL GMs; they will not likely get better.  So yeah, I suspect a lot of this is guessing (I don't see why Grossman would leak that he is leaning towards SKA unless the opposite were true and even then, the final offers have been made probably)