2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

56 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I guess I should have said compared to other sports. There’s obviously diehards everywhere, especially in an original 6 city, but I wonder if the average Boston sports fan could name 5 players for the Bruins...

like I said though, this is in my admittedly small experience with Boston fans. 

Believe me, they can.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Have to imagine a trade is made.  I can't picture us selecting 10 players.

Yeah, get the feeling at least one "young vet" trade is coming this offseason, for a package of picks (like Palms, MoJo, Mueller, etc).  Devils also have enough warm bodies that they can throw one in as well.  Gotta think some among the Q-types won't be back next year. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, get the feeling at least one "young vet" trade is coming this offseason, for a package of picks (like Palms, MoJo, Mueller, etc).  Devils also have enough warm bodies that they can throw one in as well.  Gotta think some among the Q-types won't be back next year. 

I agree with the premise, but object to categorizing Mueller as a "young vet", especially at the time he name here when he had like 55 games played over 3 years. 

Even now, I am not sure he qualifies as a veteran with 135 games played.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with the premise, but object to categorizing Mueller as a "young vet", especially at the time he name here when he had like 55 games played over 3 years. 

Even now, I am not sure he qualifies as a veteran with 135 games played.

Yeah, Mueller is definitely NOT part of that category...I made the mistake of throwing him in there because the price to bring him in was about the same as it was for Palms and MoJo.  That was more of a "former first-rounder who didn't succeed with his first team, so maybe he will here" move.  Guys picked that high tend to get second, third, and even fourth chances. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, Mueller is definitely NOT part of that category...I made the mistake of throwing him in there because the price to bring him in was about the same as it was for Palms and MoJo.  That was more of a "former first-rounder who didn't succeed with his first team, so maybe he will here" move.  Guys picked that high tend to get second, third, and even fourth chances. 

I still can’t believe he was picked first round. And I’m a Devils fan, I know who is and is not a first round pick who should not have been drafted in the first round. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still can’t believe he was picked first round. And I’m a Devils fan, I know who is and is not a first round pick who should not have been drafted in the first round. 

Steve Bernier was not only drafted in the first round, but was one of only 8 players who received an offer sheet in the NHL since 2005 (Blues offered him 1 year at $2.5M that Canucks matched).

Steve Bernier

Edited by DevsMan84

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Noesen was a first round pick too, that one surprised me lol.

11 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Have to imagine a trade is made.  I can't picture us selecting 10 players.

I don't think they even have 10 players on their short list.  I agree that there will be a trade or two.

They're using Brooks's story in the Post as the source. Has anyone read it? It essentially says that Yzerman hasn't said that he wasn't going to join the Rangers front office. It's one of the most baseless articles I have ever read.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

They're using Brooks's story in the Post as the source. Has anyone read it? It essentially says that Yzerman hasn't said that he wasn't going to join the Rangers front office. It's one of the most baseless articles I have ever read.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Still enough to make me nervous. If he was all in on going back to Detroit I’d feel better. Guy built an absolute juggernaut down in TB. 

Hope you’re right though.