2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

38 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Knowing there’s some interest is a good position to be in. I think P.K. will be a much better player for us with Hamilton taking the big minutes but if we aren’t looking at the playoffs at mid season and he’s not in the future plans, trading him at half salary for something makes all the sense in the world. 

Yep. We should be able to get a nice asset in March for PK if we are out of it.

50 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Knowing there’s some interest is a good position to be in. I think P.K. will be a much better player for us with Hamilton taking the big minutes but if we aren’t looking at the playoffs at mid season and he’s not in the future plans, trading him at half salary for something makes all the sense in the world. 

Also that it's not like the Devils HAVE to trade him...they're not even close to being in a cap crunch.  I have no issue with the Devils moving him, but it does seem like if they do anytime soon, it's going to be on their terms (OK, we'll pick up half his salary, but you have to give up something decent then).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also that it's not like the Devils HAVE to trade him...they're not even close to being in a cap crunch.  I have no issue with the Devils moving him, but it does seem like if they do anytime soon, it's going to be on their terms (OK, we'll pick up half his salary, but you have to give up something decent then).

Yeah having the ability to take some of the salary definitely helps get him to a cap-strapped team if it comes to that

55 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah having the ability to take some of the salary definitely helps get him to a cap-strapped team if it comes to that

As much as I don't want to see any players suffer injuries, the Devils' best bet to get more than we could ever expect for PK would be for some contending team to lose a key defenseman.  Not sure PK would be at the top of anyone's list (the last few seasons have been mixed at best for him), but ya never know what might happen if the right team gets desperate enough.

The above being said, I don't pretend that the Devils have some gem just waiting to be cashed in for a killer return; if Fitz ever got a second-rounder and a middling prospect at or before the deadline, I'd consider that a fine return.  As we know, he's a UFA to be that is very unlikely to be in the Devils' plans beyond this season...if he looks like he's really contributing to the Devils this season and a reason why they might get into the playoffs, I could live with losing him for no return at the end of the season, unless someone's really willing to go the extra mile to get him.  Sure, it's always nice to try to snag some pieces for departing assets, but every now and then, it's also nice to actually get to the playoffs too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as I don't want to see any players suffer injuries, the Devils' best bet to get more than we could ever expect for PK would be for some contending team to lose a key defenseman.  Not sure PK would be at the top of anyone's list (the last few seasons have been mixed at best for him), but ya never know what might happen if the right team gets desperate enough.

The above being said, I don't pretend that the Devils have some gem just waiting to be cashed in for a killer return; if Fitz ever got a second-rounder and a middling prospect at or before the deadline, I'd consider that a fine return.  As we know, he's a UFA to be that is very unlikely to be in the Devils' plans beyond this season...if he looks like he's really contributing to the Devils this season and a reason why they might get into the playoffs, I could live with losing him for no return at the end of the season, unless someone's really willing to go the extra mile to get him.  Sure, it's always nice to try to snag some pieces for departing assets, but every now and then, it's also nice to actually get to the playoffs too.  

Yeah i assume Giordano will be at the top of that list, way cheaper and better option than PK. Stralman, De Haan, Goligoski might be there too, which id say should be on par with him.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Imagine being so in tune with the world that ANY criticism of a minority player is instant racism.

It was a circus when he came..........anyone remember the dumb presser?

Unbelievable

Imagine if Hynes would have been from a minority group.

Visiting this board would have been like walking directly into a KKK meeting according to that logic! hahaha

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Are you that oblivious? 

If I said "Hynes brought negative media attention" and "I don't want to re-sign Hynes because of the circus", you'd say those are patently stupid comments. Hockey is a meritocracy, and Hynes was fired because he was just flat out bad at his job. Nobody was commenting on his fashion, or his "bad press", or his "gaudy press conference" (because obviously it was Subban's fault the Devils gave him some weird ass motorcycle jacket?). 

"I hope PK Subban isn't on the team next year because I don't think he's worth the money" is a legitimate statement. 

"I hope PK Subban isn't on the team next year because of the circus he brings and the bad press he brings" without being able to cite literally one fvcking example in his entire tenure in New Jersey is icky, flirting with racist. You're blind, dumb, stupid, or ignorant to say otherwise. Or all four. 

Oh so because someone says something negative about a person who happen to be a minority. Without providing any extra details. That's making him racist. And if someone disagree they are blind, dumb, stupid and ignorant. Are you even aware of how insanely insane of a jump to conclusion this is? 

I wrote a long post explaining why people think PK is problematic but you're too cool to read it and CHOOSE to be ignorant about it. Then call other people racist cause you can't perceive anything based on your own tiny echo chamber. I don't personally care about anything PK did here. But he did fvcking jump in a pool in a bikini. I personally thought it was funny but if someone would call that a circus, i'd get it. Or point out how he dresses weird. Just like we did with Kinkaid too, who's a white dude. It has nothing to do with skin colour. 

This is so fvcking insane. I expect someone with so little logic like you're displaying here to wear 2 different shoes.

You out of anyone on this board said WORD FOR WORD some of the most horrible things. Straight up black and white. Horrible things. And we all believe you that you were just joking or wtv. But then you call someone racist for not saying anything racist at all? And wont even consider apologizing or taking it back? That's straight up disgusting. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Oh so because someone says something negative about a person who happen to be a minority. Without providing any extra details. That's making him racist. And if someone disagree they are blind, dumb, stupid and ignorant. Are you even aware of how insanely insane of a jump to conclusion this is? 

I wrote a long post explaining why people think PK is problematic but you're too cool to read it and CHOOSE to be ignorant about it. Then call other people racist cause you can't perceive anything based on your own tiny echo chamber. I don't personally care about anything PK did here. But he did fvcking jump in a pool in a bikini. I personally thought it was funny but if someone would call that a circus, i'd get it. Or point out how he dresses weird. Just like we did with Kinkaid too, who's a white dude. It has nothing to do with skin colour. 

This is so fvcking insane. I expect someone with so little logic like you're displaying here to wear 2 different shoes.

You out of anyone on this board said WORD FOR WORD some of the most horrible things. Straight up black and white. Horrible things. And we all believe you that you were just joking or wtv. But then you call someone racist for not saying anything racist at all? And wont even consider apologizing or taking it back? That's straight up disgusting. 

He's obviously a "Racist".............!!

What a tool

• Haha 1

Vancouver I’m sure would match any offer, but it’s fun to discuss. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/could-the-canucks-elias-pettersson-become-an-offer-sheet-target?fbclid=IwAR2J5e-Gqr-AusAS0Bv2IGuIXoUL71t5kHKQfnYFHraQgjg3KQyUQtqvnWM

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Is abysmal failure another way?

Yet another way would be ‘clusterfvck’.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would consider it, depending what the salary would be/what level of compensation was required. 

I am assuming it would cost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick and I think I’m willing to do that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

if there’s any team in the league i don’t want to get into a pissing match with, its Vancouver.

Jack is going to be an RFA soon enough fellas. 

I’m not saying we should do it, I was just raising it as an interesting discussion topic given the Kotkaniemi offer sheet. 

Yeah I was day dreaming about sending one to Brady Tkachuk because I think it could be in the 1st and 3rd range and he is exactly the type of player that this team needs.

However, the Devils are going to be in a super vulnerable position for the next couple years.  I don't think Eugene Melnyk is as fickle as Tom Dundon is, but we have a lot of young guys that I think are going to have to be Tetris'd into the salary cap as they all come up.

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

Yeah I was day dreaming about sending one to Brady Tkachuk because I think it could be in the 1st and 3rd range and he is exactly the type of player that this team needs.

However, the Devils are going to be in a super vulnerable position for the next couple years.  I don't think Eugene Melnyk is as fickle as Tom Dundon is, but we have a lot of young guys that I think are going to have to be Tetris'd into the salary cap as they all come up.

Are we really THAT vulnerable though? Like sure we'll have a bunch of RFAs, but are any due monster raises. Hell even Jack if he doesn't stay healthy and crush this season I could see getting just a bridge deal to keep him RFA but let him earn bigger pay, no?

Right now we only have $45m against the cap

Maybe I'm naive though