2022 Free Agency thread

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So after reading an article about Gaudreau I still have the same opinion about his decision. 

He can go suck a bag of d!cks. 

Was it “please someone else want me so I don’t have to go to the Devils? Please please pleaseeeeeeee?”

Edit: “or back to a Calgary?!”

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i listened to the whole spitting chicklets interview and there wasn't much shocker for Devils fan or anything.

If anything... we were "too close" to home? lol

I basically got that he was willing to entertain coming here, but got the call from Columbus and it changed things. As far as the interview goes, he talked a lot about how he loves some of the golf courses there and admitted that he liked that it was a little quiet market where he doesn't have to deal with the press in Canada and seemed like an area that he would stick around after finishing playing. Personally, I got the feeling he isn't all that interested in winning right now necessarily, but that was just a vibe I got. I juxtaposition him to a Nate McKinnon after his team got bounced in the WCF and it's night and day. Maybe I'm wrong and he's just really laid back. 

I got a little heated that Biz was low on the Devils for the upcoming year. Psyched me up a little bit like the old days when we had Zajac Parise and the whole league + critics were low on those teams and still managed to make playoffs. 

Edited by RizzMB30

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/first-gaudreau-now-tkachuk-another-star-seems-poised-to-leave-flames/

Well it sounds more and more like Tkachuk won't be wearing a Calgary jersey next season

Haha, “Johnny Ohio”

I think him going to Columbus and allowing us to keep some cap flexibility may end up being a blessing.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Haha, “Johnny Ohio”

I think him going to Columbus and allowing us to keep some cap flexibility may end up being a blessing.   

yeah. i mean. We've seen it all. We were glad Kovy signed long-term here. And turns out it was a blessing he left.

We were all bummed Shattenkirk didn't picked us in free agency. then he sucked hard for the Rangers.

You never know.

if these 2 moves panned out for us... we'd likely still be stuck with these contract and not landing hamilton for example.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Player I have always liked, thought he would have been a good fit here. 

Me too and 2 years is actually not bad. Thought he'd want to be locked up for like 4. And for us im sure there's guys like Gritsyuk or wtv that could fill that role sooner than later so

54 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Me too and 2 years is actually not bad. Thought he'd want to be locked up for like 4. And for us im sure there's guys like Gritsyuk or wtv that could fill that role sooner than later so

Yeah I thought he would be looking for more term. 

59 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/johnny-gaudreau-nhl-hockey-calgary-flames-columbus-blue-jackets

Johnny wrote a text to Calgary fans. It's very honest in my opinion

If he wants to explain himself and where he's coming from to the Calgary fanbase, cool, I get that entirely, playing there obviously meant something to him (clearly the fans did too) and he wants to go out on the best terms possible, and it's always nice to see these guys give you a little insight...but I don't hold it against UFAs when they leave.  It takes a long time before you can go UFA in the NHL...those guys have the right to explore their options and sign wherever they want, for whatever the reasons...he gave them 8 full seasons at the NHL level, almost all of his 20s.  I don't kid myself...sure, it's great if a guy plays all (or almost all) of his career for your team, but it's such a rare thing now, and in a lot of cases, you really DON'T want that, as such guys can not only start to decline sharply as they age, but then some of those players gain too much power within the franchise (inversely proportional to their in-game performance), to the point where no one wants to be the "heartless d!ck" to deal them off, cut them, or try to get them to retire gracefully.

Tkachuk, that's a different situation...that one's gotta hurt, especially coupled with JG's departure.  That fanbase has to feel zombified right now. 

• Like 1

This comes out of nowhere, makes no sense and a shot in the dark but what else are we doing besides waiting?

Any chance the devils get Tkachuk since they also surprisingly got Kovalchuk?  Both end in “chuk”.  I know, dumb as hell but why not mention it?  Again, what else are we doing besides just waiting?