2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

I’m not sure how there’s even a tiny comparison between Hall and Bratt in terms of their situations unless the similarities stop at “devils winger”. 

Taylor Hall was an upcoming UFA, Bratt is an RFA. 

Taylor Hall was looking for that “last” contract to take him into his mid-30s after already accepting his big bridge deal. Bratt is looking for his first real payday. 

Taylor Hall maintained that more than anything, a chance to win the cup was most important to him. Bratt himself has only said “I want to stay in NJ.” 

Taylor Hall got into it with fans, openly criticizing them before leaving. Jesper Bratt hasn’t had anything similar to that. 

You can say “RFA doesn’t mean anything any more” and point to Tkachuk but the return for Tkachuk was a 100+ point winger and a top-pairing defenseman in his prime. UFA’s walk all the time. RFA’s need to be moved or offer sheeted. The devils will be compensated handsomely if Bratt decides he doesn’t want to sign a long term deal.

It might be his last year in NJ but it’s incomparable to the Hall situation.

Good point

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It has nothing to do with loving to argue, I just think your position is based completely on wishful thinking instead of the facts.  Which is why I disagree with you. At which point you had to bring up that I argue for a living (you probably know what I say about that already), and that you were done with the topic (which I also have opinions on). 

Of course neither of us knows what will actually happen. But the whole “he likes it here” argument is, as I said, wishful thinking. There’s no actual basis for your position, and two lengthy contract holdouts that trend more toward my position. 

I also think you are wrong, and we will see in 11 months, if not sooner. 

Bad point in previous posts.

Even if Bratt will leave, situation is different. 

Its interesting, because Wood could not be ready  for starting the season. Foote is a guy with good positional game and good offensive IQ, but his skating and speed limit him. And Thompson with Zetterlund were more proactive and successful in their time in AHL. Devils don't have many spots in regular roster, fight for the spot should help this year. Prospects looks much more NHL ready. 

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

I’m not sure how there’s even a tiny comparison between Hall and Bratt in terms of their situations unless the similarities stop at “devils winger”. 

Taylor Hall was an upcoming UFA, Bratt is an RFA. 

Taylor Hall was looking for that “last” contract to take him into his mid-30s after already accepting his big bridge deal. Bratt is looking for his first real payday. 

Taylor Hall maintained that more than anything, a chance to win the cup was most important to him. Bratt himself has only said “I want to stay in NJ.” 

Taylor Hall got into it with fans, openly criticizing them before leaving. Jesper Bratt hasn’t had anything similar to that. 

You can say “RFA doesn’t mean anything any more” and point to Tkachuk but the return for Tkachuk was a 100+ point winger and a top-pairing defenseman in his prime. UFA’s walk all the time. RFA’s need to be moved or offer sheeted. The devils will be compensated handsomely if Bratt decides he doesn’t want to sign a long term deal.

It might be his last year in NJ but it’s incomparable to the Hall situation.

The comparison is, he said “I think he likes NJ and he will stay”. Which is the same thing said about Hall before he didn’t stay. That’s all I said. The rest of your comparison is a pointless exercise.

Beatt also said “I don’t want to stay somewhere and not win a Cup”. And a guy saying he likes where he is playing cannot be believed, that’s what everyone is supposed to say. 

Hall criticized the fans on his way out the door. He knew he was leaving. 

I also said nothing about us not being compensated if Bratt leaves, all I said was it sounded like it was his last year. He’s an RFA, we would have to be trading him or (less likely) there would have to be an offer sheet. But the compensation is irrelevant to my point, which was that it sounds like it will be his last year 

Go ahead and take a couple Advil, your back must be killing you from moving so many goalpoasts. 

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Hockey is a sport that "lacks cultural moments". 

These are not impressive people who write things like this.

A Muslim wrote that. Since I’m not Muslim, I’ll never fully relate to the significance of this particular moment. But hockey is a predominantly white sport, so I understand what this person means and I’m happy to see such a moment occur. 

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A Muslim wrote that. Since I’m not Muslim, I’ll never fully relate to the significance of this particular moment. But hockey is a predominantly white sport, so I understand what this person means and I’m happy to see such a moment occur. 

You don't understand or relate to the significance of the first time a player does something? Like bring a trophy to a mosque?

That is a you problem. Pretty sad. 

Edited by RizzMB30

10 hours ago, Guadana said:

Good point

Bad point in previous posts.

Even if Bratt will leave, situation is different. 

Its interesting, because Wood could not be ready  for starting the season. Foote is a guy with good positional game and good offensive IQ, but his skating and speed limit him. And Thompson with Zetterlund were more proactive and successful in their time in AHL. Devils don't have many spots in regular roster, fight for the spot should help this year. Prospects looks much more NHL ready. 

I didn’t say it was the same situation, I said what @MadDog2020said was the same thing people said about Taylor Hall. Which it was. I don’t see how that is a “bad point”, it’s 100% factual. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

You don't understand or relate to the significance of the first time a player does something? Like bring a trophy to a mosque?

That is a you problem. Pretty sad. 

I don’t get this post. What the hell are you even talking about?

Edited by MadDog2020

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t say it was the same situation, I said what @MadDog2020said was the same thing people said about Taylor Hall. Which it was. I don’t see how that is a “bad point”, it’s 100% factual. 

People said it for a while. Then they stopped saying it when it was evident he didn’t like it here. I haven’t, nor has anyone else, seen anything to the contrary with Bratt in terms of his enjoyment of his time here. But perhaps if he makes a sarcastic ear gesture at the fans this year, I’ll begin to change my mind. 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

People said it for a while. Then they stopped saying it when it was evident he didn’t like it here. I haven’t, nor has anyone else, seen anything to the contrary with Bratt in terms of his enjoyment of his time here. But perhaps if he makes a sarcastic ear gesture at the fans this year, I’ll begin to change my mind. 😎

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Pronman ranked U23 players in the league or drafted (170 total).  Lots of Devils representation - 7 in the top 105.

Jack Hughes tops the list followed by Mo Seider, Trevor Zegras, Quinn Hughes, and Brady Tkachuk to round out the top 5.

Luke Hughes at 11
Simon Nemec at 26
Dawson Mercer at 46
Alex Holtz at 56
Nolan Foote at 83
(Ty Smith at 84)
Shakira Mookdook at 105

https://theathletic.com/3509131/2022/08/29/nhl-players-prospects-rankings-under-23/

(@mfitz804 - Let me know if that satisfies the new paywall summary requirement)

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

Well you know your stock’s taken a hit if after two NHL seasons you’re now ranked behind Foote.  Ouch.

18 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Pronman ranked U23 players in the league or drafted (170 total).  Lots of Devils representation - 7 in the top 105.

Jack Hughes tops the list followed by Mo Seider, Trevor Zegras, Quinn Hughes, and Brady Tkachuk to round out the top 10,

Luke Hughes at 11
Simon Nemec at 26
Dawson Mercer at 46
Alex Holtz at 56
Nolan Foote at 83
(Ty Smith at 84)
Shakira Mookdook at 105

https://theathletic.com/3509131/2022/08/29/nhl-players-prospects-rankings-under-23/

(@mfitz804 - Let me know if that satisfies the new paywall summary requirement)

Yes it does, and you get extra credit for "Shakira Mookdook". 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Curious as to the criteria they used. 

It makes me sad for the other Jack Hughes, who will never even be the best Jack Hughes under 23 until ours turns 23. 

In the piece, Pronman praised Hughes’ high-end skating and above NHL average puck skills, compete and hockey sense. Hughes, 21, recorded 56 points (26 goals and 30 assists) in 49 games during the 2021-22 season.

“Hughes was injured for a portion of the season, but when healthy he was an impact NHLer, having a true breakout season and looking like the No. 1 pick of the 2019 NHL Draft,” Pronman wrote, via The Athletic.“His talent jumps out due to his outstanding skating with very good speed and better edge work. He’s also a highly skilled and imaginative puck handler who can make difficult plays at high speeds. Hughes lacks size but plays without fear and competes hard. He also showed a little more goal-scoring touch this season. He projects as a perennial All-Star who could touch the top of the scoring leaders at times in his career.”

• Like 1